• Front Squat

  • Farmer Carry

  • Kettlebell Swing

  • MURPH WOD Group

  • Weighted Pushup

    Sunbathing

2015-02-11

Crossfit Brighton 150211

Are you signing up for the Crossfit Open?


Absolutely, been looking to see what changes I have made over the last year in my fitness level and how I stack up to others in the region.  


What was your experience from last year's Open?


The open always seems to bring out the best in a person and truly helps identify deficiencies in my training and mental capacity.  Overall I was happy with the improvement in my fitness level and I truly felt the programing at CFB helped prepare me for competing.  Most of the open work outs I completed two times in an attempt to get a better score the second time.  That was true each time except for one of the WODs.  One my favorite experiences was watching the competition amongst athletes in the gym.  It was uncommon for me to wander over during the various classes and see how athletes tackled the workouts.  I learned a lot from competing and was also inspired by the effort that so many put in.  


What did you gain or learn from participating?


The biggest aspect for me includes where I have come from physically and mentally.  It seems that we can find another gear and a higher level of work capacity when you are being judged and put against others outside of the gym.    The workouts can have some beautiful programing that will leave you humbled and laying on the floor trying to figure out what just ran you over.  That mental capacity to push and find the next gear truly comes out in the open and in competition.  The ability to push beyond, when my head says to rest is really important to me in the open.  Last year I felt that the open gave me the confidence that our programing and training was working and it served as an example for me that all the hard work was paying off from a year prior.    


I have great respect for those who participate in the open and are willing to post their scores on a much larger level the CFB.  Its funny how one rep can mean the difference of 100 places in our region and that reminder would come up during many workouts after the open and during training of how important it is to push all the way to the end of a workout.  The open has become a competition  amongst many of my peers across the United States, and  I plan on making sure I beat them down, purely for bragging rights over 2015


Would you recommend others to sign up for this year's Open?


Yes, unless you have torn your calf muscle or something similar.  Now that the games includes a scaled division, there is no reason an athlete with CFB should not participate.  Our athletes are most likely going to complete the open workouts, when you commit by signing up, its going to show that you are committed and I think it will make you push farther during the workout and truly test your fitness level.  


If yes, what type of athlete (new, experienced, young, old) should participate?

All of our athletes should participate, the scaled division has completely changed the open.  It will allow greater flexibility and more to participate.  If you are in this for the long run, you  want to compete so you can see next year how far you have come!

0 comments: